Thanks to Angela Rivers (JPOMA) for providing a summary of the General Valuation and Rates Policy breakfast meeting held on 23 January 2018
All the presentations can be found HERE
The schedule for all COJ input sessions can be found HERE
General Valuation 2018
- The Valuation Roll can be inspected from 20 February 2018 on the City of Joburg website www.joburg.org.za
- Objections close on 6 April 2018 and no late submission will be accepted.
- Objections must be done on the prescribed form and can be handed in at the designated offices, these will be advertised on the CoJ Website.
- There will be a new on-line porthole for objections on the CoJ website. One objection per application.
- Please ensure that you include your email address in all objections, this will assist with further communications.
- There is an appeals process if your objection is rejected. This can take up to 18 months. It is advisable to continue to pay the full rates amount on your account.
- If there is a more than 10% increase or decrease in the valuation it will automatically go to the appeals board.
- Valuation is based on the value of your property as at 1 July 2017
The Rate Policy 2018/2019 will be open for comment from 27th January 2018 until 28 February 2018.
Comments can be submitted in writing to RatesComment@joburg.org.za or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ward 117 Cllr Tim Truluck has provided more insight on objections to new property valuations:
Property Valuations Updates and Advice
“I wrote an email about valuations – please read it for more detailed info on the valuation process and objections. See the link below.
Note that there is currently high usage on the vsluations site – eservices.joburg.org.za – at the moment so it may bomb out from time to time. The user registration is not working yet.
I attended the meeting last night at Marks Park last night and wrote the following notes on how to object etc.
– You need to register for online objections.
– Searches can be done without registering.
– Objections can be online or via walk in centre. The form can be printed out and submissions done by hand, but they would rather have online submissions.
– You can use an online computer mass appraisal system to help your objection. Examples include Lightstone and PropIQ.
– There is space to write a motivation – you can include things like erf size/shape, defects, anything that you think reduces your value.
– Take pics of defects etc to support and upload.
– Estate agents valuation is only an opinion, but will be considered – they must date their valuation estimate for 1 July 2017
– Will have to consider all objections 1st, then send out all decisions in one go. Then have 30 days to appeal where it goes to appeal board where you will have your day in court. Thus cannot give date by when they will be done by. The more they get, the longer it takes.
– Each sectional title unit must do their own objection form
– Neighbours have rights to object to another property. Esp if illegal use – they will value it at the higher use.”
In the press: COJ 2018 General Valuation Roll published