This morning, the South African Cities Network [SACN] and the National Department of Public Works and Infrastructure launched The State of the Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) in South African Cities 2019-2020.
In launching the report these were some of the findings noted:
– Many cities are not yet meeting targets (CoJ is doing well in this regard)
– Institutional arrangements critical to a successful rollout, with a steering committee cross-cutting sectors
– Improve accountability methods within cities
– Improve programme demographics – attractive to the youth, women, persons with disabilities – specific target percentage in each city
– Continue mainstreaming the programme, not an “add-on”
The latest EPWP Report & two EPWP Research Papers are now available on the SACN website;